Bangladesh players end their strike after BCB agree to demands

Shakib Al Hasan has stated that the players will return to the field after BCB officials assured them that nearly all their demands will be met in at the earliest. However, Shakib has also added that the players will only be fully satisfied when all that they’d asked for is implemented.

With an 11-point demand list, Bangladesh cricketers went on a strike for an indefinite period of time, putting India series on a threat. Players wanted the reversal of the Bangladesh Cricket Board’s decision to abandon the BPL’s franchise-based model and demanded an open market transfer in the Dhaka Premier League. However, the impasse came to an end close to midnight on Wednesday, by which time both parties had been in discussion for nearly two hours.

“Today we are happy. We can say how satisfied we are when these assurances will be implemented. Till now, I am happy. The board promised to resolve all the matters one by one very soon. I hope they will do it in quickest possible time. We raised those two demands just now and the board needs time to discuss about it. I am okay with it for the time being. We are joining the national camp from October 25,” Shakib said, reported Cricinfo.

“After the NCL, we’ll discuss about the CWAB. Namur Rahman ensured us that only the current players will be involved with CWAB,” he added.

Earlier, there were reports that BCB chief Nazmul Hassan and director Naimur Rahman met the country’s Prime Minister, Sheikh Hasina, who had asked Mashrafe Mortaza to know more about the impasse. Cricinfo reported that after her intervention, the BCB backed off from their hardline stance.

“We have agreed to meet up most of their demands. We had earlier decided to cancel the third round of the NCL, but as the players decided to play we have shifted it to next Saturday. The national camp will start from October 25,” he said, ending all speculation hovering around the upcoming India tour that is scheduled to start from November 3,”  Nazmul Hasan said in a joint press conference where Shakib al Hasan was sitting beside him at the board room. 

“They had sent 11 demands where BCB had nothing to do with the CWAB related demand while we have decided to agree on the remaining demands apart from the one where it was stated that players will be allowed to play in more than two franchise-based tournaments,” he said. “I don’t think there are many players who are offered more than two franchise-based tournaments and we will take the decision regarding participation of them in the franchise-based cricket on a case-to-case basis,” he said.