”I was told an hour and a half before the South Africa Test squad was announced that I would not be captain of the ODIs”: Virat Kohli

Virat Kohli has confirmed that he is available for the ODI leg of the tour despite recent reports indicating that he had withdrawn from the South Africa tour. In a statement, Kohli said he was notified of Sharma’s replacement as India’s limited-overs skipper before the selection committee meeting, and he vehemently denied reports that he could not be selected for the ODI series.


Kohli’s response was “I was available for selection (for the ODIs).” Ahead of the meeting, I discussed the Test selection with selectors. My ODI captaincy was denied, so I accepted without hesitation. There was no communication beforehand.” Earlier in the day, Kohli spoke to the media in Mumbai ahead of the Indian team’s trip to South Africa for a three-match Test series, followed by a three-match ODI series. During the ODI series, which takes place between January 19-23, the first Test is scheduled to begin on December 26 in Centurion. The Test series concludes on January 15.


”It doesn’t matter how long you have been batting at the international level, you know how to perform. I will never stop playing for India. There is nothing I can do to derail my motivation to represent India,” stated Kohli. However, Kohli acknowledged that the chatter outside wasn’t ideal. It is not ideal that so many things happen outside of your control, but you have to control what you can control. I am mentally prepared, and I am looking forward to my time in South Africa,” Kohli concluded.